- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled1
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Course salt
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (recipe follows)
|1. Grind ginger into a paste
using a small food processor.
2. Heat oil in large skillet, over medium
heat, add onions, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.Add
ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and salt; cook,
stirring 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, chili powder, okra, and
green peppers. If mixture appears dry, add 1/4 cup water. Add garam
masala, and cooked covered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 whole nutmeg
1. Toast all
spices for garam masala in small sauté pan, over medium heat, about
5 minutes until fragrant. Allow to cool in the pan. Transfer contents
to a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.